Monday, December 17, 2007

Modern Conservatism (and the pundits who define it)

Let me start this by saying that anyone who wants to read one of the absolute BEST political opinion pieces I've ever read, then read Andrew Sullivan's endorsement of Barak Obama. Simply amazing: I've never read a piece that puts into words the approximate nature of American polarization as well as this one does.

Additionally, Sullivan does a more than decent job of articulating why he believes Ron Paul is the best choice for the GOP nomination.

Dumb Conservatism
But enough of all this optimistic parade of brilliant political opinion. Let's look at something completely retarded. Here's a guy who thinks that the best thing for the safety of this country is to allow we, the consumers, to be the guinnea pigs for everything we buy. From the lead in our toys, to the presence of e-coli in our burgers - let the market sort out the baddies! Because the alternative is ... oh no!!! More government regulation!!! The horror!!! Seriously though, I'm not a fan of excessive regulation, but this guy is off the chain (likely a heavily-leaded one) if he thinks I want me and mine to be in the forefront of the wild west consumer-scape. And I have to wonder if he even believes his own monologue. After all, the best recent example of free-market jurisprudence was the government mandated recall of Topps beef. How, exactly, is the prospect that a company of 80+ people going out of business supposed secure my trust that the frozen beef burgers I buy aren't going to cause food poisoning? I could go on and on (and indeed, already have) about this, but his liaise fair approach to ingesting toxic substances is manifestly absurd enough.

Smart Conservatism
Lest I stray too far from my conservative/libertarian leanings, let's remind ourselves of when and why government interventionism is a really, really dumb idea. Specifically, in the sub-prime mortgage area. Rumor has it that some folks in this country took out ARM's and now must start paying much higher monthly mortgage rates as their initial teaser rates are set to expire. Now, I know that some of you in my tiny blog audience may have been duped into buying (yes, you bought it - a mortgage is a product) an ARM, so please feel free to be offended. Why is Bush bailing these people out? Oh, right - because it will actually protect the "predatory" lenders (read: lenders) from the risk they knew they ran when they first wrote the ARM in the first place. Oh wait, my younger-self is tugging at my shirt sleeve, asking a question. What's that younger-self? Aren't the usary rates of post-adjustment ARMs supposed to offset the foreclosure risk posed by those very rates? I'm not sure - but I think it's similar to credit card offers, isn't it? Well, at any rate, at least Bush is doing something to help the Little Man. Just in time too. Like after that hurricane in Louisiana: Compassionate Conservatism at its selective best!

That's a lot of reading, huh? I wonder if anyone will actually read all four articles? Good thing I don't email people this tripe anymore ...

No comments: